View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I've been reading on devices like PDA's , phones, an eBookwise, a Nokia N800, a jetBook and now a Sony for many years. I find so many free books to read at Gutenburg, Feedbooks, etc. that I don't feel the need to buy the current hot seller. Having such a good selection of free reading material also helps with the budget. I do purchase ebooks when necessary.

As for the LA Times survey, I read more because of the conveniences offered by an ebook reader device. Having the same content on a PC or laptop screen is not the same as having it on a handheld reader. In my case, this has nothing to do with any supposed "eye strain" issues from a lit screen. I sit in front of a computer every day.

The sheer portablilty and convenience of a dedicated reader lets me read at odd moments and locations that would not be possible with a computer. Weight and size also have a great deal to do with it. Even a small paperback is more cumbersome than an ereader.

As others have stated, ebooks mean no trips to the library or bookstore. There is also the benefit of not needing all that shelf space that pbooks require. Now that I live in a tiny apartment, that means a lot.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote