View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #403
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Well, i do not believe that is true in the general case. Some text are written in a way that it is not suitable for reading aloud. I remember at an SF Con M. John Harrison apologizing for a reading since the story he read did not work at all being read aloud. He usually worked in a text to adapt it for reading aloud.
There is good evidence that one of the processes that happens in reading is that readers create something like an auditory representation of the text that they are reading, (I'm not saying that readers "hear" the words they are reading, but there is evidence that the auditory cortex is activated in the process of reading - I can give you sources if you are interested). One of the features that makes some texts more difficult to read fluently - even when reading silently - is their lack of amenability to being read aloud. Some - literary - authors use this fact to influence the experience of reading - for example rendering an emotionally complex scene in a way that makes it difficult to read so that the reader experiences some tension or discomfort. Some other authors are just not very good.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote