Thread: ePUB metadata
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 04:30 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
ePUB metadata

Hi all,

I'm considering publishing all the books I've created (and those I make in the future) in ePUB format. Even if there are no full-featured ePUB readers (or none I could find/try), for some like me who likes to hand-craft the (X)HTML of each book, ePUB has the advantage of storing the XHTML and image files unmodified, so there's no need to save the source files, and then the ePUB could be used as a source to editions in other formats.

OK, so my question is, what is the best way to include the publication metadata in the ePUB files? I mean, in particular:

- Having MobileRead appear somewhere. I'm putting it an "publisher" now.

- Adding my name. I have it in the "dc:contributor" element, with "role=bkp" (book producer)

- Stating the source of the original text used for the conversion (Project Gutenberg, Wikimedia, etc.). I put that in the "dc:source" element, of course, but I'm worried that could be seen as a sort of "association" with Project Gutenberg, which is not allowed if the text is modified (and I usually modify it quite a bit).

Do you think this system is OK? Any comments? More data to add?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote