Thread: My ebook plan!
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
Gameboy70
Connoisseur
Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gameboy70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, 3rd Gen iPad
I've recently been learning more toward the iLiad, since I'm returning to school in the fall. I was going to purchase the Sony Reader, since I had a Librie. The Reader seems to resolve most of my frustrations with the Librie: low contrast, non-English UI elements (even with the English-flashed OS), Western spine orientation (i.e. the cover mounts on the left instead of the right), flaky conversion tools (e.g. News, Printer for Librie). My main goal was not to replace books, per se, but to read online content offline -- read electronic "printouts" of web pages. Toolbar for Librie is actually a fairly effective tool for getting web pages into the device, despite its exclusive reliance on IE. I expect that most of the conversion software for the Librie is vastly improved for the Sony Reader. I don't care about Sony's DRM content through Connect, as long as it remains an option and allows for more open formats, like PDF, which is supported natively. Unfortunately, Sony's been vague about native HTML support.

But the iLiad is growing on me. Since I'm returning to school in the fall, I'd like something with more robust PDF support. I'm planning get a proper book scanner (the Opticbook 3600) and scan all of my textbooks into an E Ink device. Since the scans will likely be PDF, the iLiad seems like the more appropriate choice, due to its larger screen and 1024 x 768 resolution and 158 dpi.

It doesn't look like either device will be released by the beginning of the fall semester, so I'll probably just wait for both to be released and review the consensus of both products.
Gameboy70 is offline   Reply With Quote