View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #10
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
My question would be are you going to need to run Maple, MathCad, Mathmatica or some other mathematic's oriented software? If not and ya just need to take plain old notes then the math grad student part does not matter really...right?

But is you do then some sort of tablet or "convertible" PC might be the best option if you add an extra battery or two...more weight and a PITA but much more horsepower.

I see maple 11 supports handwriting recognition...

http://www.maplesoft.com/products/Ma...cognition.aspx

And I did a Google search using:

mathematical "handwriting recognition"

And see there might be several other pieces of software out there now...sure are more then when I was a math major and 11 of us split the cost of one copy of MCAD...and that was the student version!! shhhhh...dunna tell anyone that was Mcad v2.x or so...

One thing for certain is I have not heard of any scientific/math oriented note taking software that runs on a book-reader type system that will do more than capture the notes. But like someone mentioned it could be possible to do the OCR after the fact...dunno if it would be worth the effort to correct though.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote