View Single Post
Old 10-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #20
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would say that Never Let Me Go is not Nobel worthy.
The Nobel Prize is not based on any one book. It's based on the author's body of work. So if "Never Let Me Go" was a bad book it wouldn't really matter.

However, I think "Never Let Me Go" was one of the most amazing stories I've ever read. It had great subtlety, wonderfully developed and varied characters and was so full of original, creative and imaginative ideas that I read much of it with my mouth open saying "Wow!!".

I put off reading it for a long time because i didn't think he could write something as beautiful as "The Remains of the Day", and while I think that was the better book "Never Let Me Go" was almost as good.

In 2005 Time named "Never Let Me Go" as one of the 100 best books written in the English language since Time (the magazine) began.

Ishiguro has won innumerable prizes.

You may prefer another author but I don't think you can fairly say that Ishiguro didn't deserve that prize if you've read his books. He's an amazingly good writer even if he isn't one of your favorites.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote