View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 11:21 PM   #15
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
In general an ereader is sold by the store to sell you ebooks so the reader you get will determine which store you can buy from most easily. The usual favorites are Kindle and Kobo and if you're in the USA there's also the Nook. All three have huge libraries and there aren't many books that aren't in all three, although there are some.

The country you live in also affects which books you can buy because not every book is published in every country.

Calibre is a program for your computer that can convert books to different formats. I have a Kindle and I buy my books from Amazon. I also have a Kobo and a Nook but I don't buy books from them. I use Calibre with a plugin from Apprentice Alf to convert books from Kindle format so I can read them on the other devices.

Calibre is a free program, as is the Apprentice Alf plugin. Google can help you find them. I'm not sure I'm allowed, in this forum, to tell you where to get the plugin since they can be misused.

My usual procedure is to buy a book on Amazon, download it to my PC, convert it to the epub format if I want to read it on my Nook or Kobo and then transfer the book to that device. Typically from the time I decide to buy the book to the time I have it on my Kobo is about 2 minutes. Often less. The process is trivial.

Given that you might do better to focus on the features of the various devices and on the stores and their policies and decide which device you like best, which store you like best, etc.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote