View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 04:59 PM   #458
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Well lets hope they really fix it this time, the threadlink I posted was started in Feb 2017 and I saw other reports dated 2016 on Win 8.1!
As mentioned, I never had that particular problem. I did have fun at one pint running WinXP. I was building systems from components, and hardware failures and system upgrades had me migrating my XP install. It reached a point where online activation failed, and I had to call MS. The tech just wanted to be sure I wasn't trying to run XP on more than one system at a time, and I said "No, same physical system. Motherboard failure forced me to migrate." He took care of it.

(That experience went some way to curing me of building my own machines. )

Quote:
However, my post was primarily intended as a heads up for anyone else who gets the diaphanous, non-dismissible, stay-on-top pop-up.
Understood.

Quote:
BTW: I haven't seen a BSOD since I replaced my video card wrecking, memory module eating, Gigabyte MOBO desktop with a Dell XPS built-to-spec system.
My current desktop is a replacement for an earlier Dell that suffered a power supply failure, and the Small Form Factor design meant I couldn't replace just it. That system came with Win7 Pro, and I took advantage of MS's free upgrade offer to go to Win10 Pro. It was not a happy experience, and my comment was "New and different BSODs! Collect the whole set!" because I was. One unpleasant surprise was the the Xeon CPU in the old system was not on Win10's supported list, so only two of the four cores were usable.

The current system is an HP Small Form Factor system with a CPU that is on the supported list and all four cores are used. A lot of the issues with the Dell resolved to inadequate hardware support for Win10. It installed and ran, for suitable values of "ran", but left a lot to be desired. The HP has overall been much better. Among other things, it's designed for serviceability, and it's easy to pop the hood and fiddle.

It came with Win7 Pro, and the MS free upgrade was long over. But I hadn't installed Win10 online on the Dell - I downloaded the media to a USB thumb drive. I bet that I could run the upgrade process from it to get a Win10 Pro system, and was right.

I did reuse a few things from the Dell. I'd gotten it a 240GB Crucial MX100 SSD that I set up as boot drive and cloned Win10 to. It took a bit to figure out how to reuse it - the utility that came with the MX100 did not properly clone the installation on the SATA drive. It turned out a utility I already had that I'd used to wipe and reinitialize the drive to factory stock status would successfully clone Win10 to it as well.

The BSODs I still get are annoying but can be lived with - rebooting after one takes about a minute to get back to a working desktop. Finally getting an SSD was one of the best moves I've made. (And I just got a firmware upgrade for the SSD, which may help with one of the SSDs.)

I also got a low profile AMD-ATI video card for the Dell to replace the onboard Intel graphics, but I wound up taking it out of the HP. The HP has onboard Intel HD2000 graphics that outperform the ATI card.

The most recent upgrades were a PCI-e USB3 card, since the HP came with USB2, and a USB3 drive enclosure to make swapping in other HDs easier. For the most part, I'm happy. At some point I'm likely to take the box from the current 8GB RAM to the full 32GB it can support, but since I don't normally see even half of the 8GB currently installed used, there's no urgency.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote