View Single Post
Old 12-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #58
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
It's amusing to me that I'm reading this thread whilst waiting for a build of my company's software on Windows to complete. I'm testing a change of the build scripts which is necessary because of a change in behaviour by Cygwin. Which is to do with pattern-matching and end of lines.
I ran Cygwin back when but got cured of it. Are you building under Cygwin or MSYS?

See Howard Chu's commentary about it on http://highlandsun.com/hyc/. He's done a fair bit of hacking on Mozilla code.

Quote:
Another thing that bugged me while I was hacking on Mozilla was how incredibly slowly this code built on my Windows system. It turns out a lot of the overhead was because the Windows build system was built around Cygwin, which is notoriously slow. As I got into beating the MailNews POP3 client into shape, I also converted the scripts and Makefiles to use MSYS instead of Cygwin. I contributed this work back to the Mozilla project as well, and it slowly got integrated into the main tree. (See Bug 294122 for some of that history. In one case over a 3:1 improvement in build time was reported.)

Despite the fact that MSYS works so much better, the Cygwin build was still the official build platform. But a mere 19 months later, plans were made to drop Cygwin. And finally, almost a full 2 years later, the switch has been flipped and MSYS is now the recommended build environment.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote