View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 03:44 PM   #49
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
I can confirm this. You do not need Wine, Mono is enough. However... it depends on the quality of the programmer. Especially if you consider file handling, there are of course differences between Linux and Windows. If your programmer is worth his salary, he/she doesn't hardcode stuff like slashes...
That was my assumption, and thanks for the confirmation.

But things like directory separators and option delimiters have been problems as long as I can recall. So are things like EOL characters. *nix uses LF (ASCII 11) to mark EOL. MacOS prior to OS/X used CR (ASCII 13). MSDOS, bless its pointed little head, used both in a CRLF combo, and Windows inherited the practice from DOS. I've spent the odd hour on scripts to do the conversion when I had to move stuff between OSes.

It's even more annoying when the OS can be queried about what it uses, and code can be written to use whatever the OS specifies, but programmers hard-code and break portability. If I were a manager and a programmer reporting to me did that, he/she would be looking for a new job...
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 12-18-2017 at 04:52 PM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote