View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
pash
pash began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which e-reader or tablet would best suit my needs?

I've been lurking the forums for days, trying to figure out which e-reader or tablet would suit my needs best, but the more I read the more confused I get, because of all the new alternatives and possibilities I keep finding out with every thread I read...

That's why I thought about asking directly; I'm a total noob to the whole e-readers/tablets universe, so please forgive my noobness!

What I'm looking for is:

1) a device to read comics/manga, mostly in .cbr/.cbz formats, but some of them also in .pdf (let's say 70% of them are italian comics - which means, B&W - 20% US comics, 5% manga and 5% french comics - these are the pdf ones, in color)

2) the display shouldn't be too small (I'm used to read cbr/cbz on my 17" notebook, I'm not sure I could easily get used to a 5" or 6"!)

3) the price should be within 250€ (the less the better)

4) apart from reading cbr/cbz, I would surely use the device for reading pdf books and, if possible, also now and then for watching some hardsubbed anime in .rmvb/.rm formats, and some series&movies in .avi (not interested in HD, 90% of what I have is smaller than 720p; anyway the biggest part of what I have is softsubbed, so it should absolutely read .srt/.sub subtitles)

5) I'm totally not interested in gaming, and also websurfing isn't necessary (if it's available good, but it ain't relevant to me); also unnecessary for my needs is the chance to download stuff with it, as I already have a huge archive (I'm not lying when I say that most of it it's a backup for comics I have in paper form!); if it can play mp3s good, but that also isn't too important.

Of all the devices I searched, these are the ones that seem most promising to me so far:

Nook Color
Nook Tablet
Archos 70 ereader
Archos 70 internet tablet
PocketBook IQ 701
Pandigital Novel

(Unfortunately, the Nooks aren't available in Italy yet...though if I got it right, they should be soon; another thing that sounds very promising is the JetBook Color, but atm it doesn't support cbr/cbz - though they say it will in the future! - and also its price is too high for me - I'm gonna wait some more for that, when it supports cbr/cbz and the price goes down, that sounds like it could be IT; but meanwhile I need a device now, so that's another story)

I also noticed that there are many cheap tablets within the price range I mentioned, probably too many too name 'em all; I'm totally open to suggestions!

Many TIA!!!
pash is offline   Reply With Quote