View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 05:12 AM   #8
tpw
Zealot
tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tpw has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Sony PRS650
I thought that the actual update process was very smooth and well presented, and it went without hitch. I'd say for the most part the update has delivered pretty much what Kobo (Michael) promised.

Font resizing: great
Proper charging light status: great
Hide built in books: great
Presumable other bug fixes: fair enough
Sleep mode: crazy

To me the sleep and power saving measures have been implemented in a way which is actually quite annoying.

In "active" reading mode, I can leave the device for long periods, presumably during which it is still consuming power.

The kobo only stays "sleep" mode, which I imagine is supposed to use far less power, for 15 minutes, before switching completely "off" (zero power).

To me, this is completely the wrong way around. Surely it makes more sense for the device to automatically switch from "active" to "sleep" after say 30 minutes with no key presses. Once in "sleep", it should stay that way, consuming little power for as long as I choose to leave it. Actually switching to "off" should be at the discretion of the user, since it entails a 45 second wait to switch on again.

Sorry if I've got my wires crossed with the way these power saving measures are supposed to work. I'd be perplexed if Apple or Nokia came up with a mobile phone firmware upgrade which gave 1 month between battery charges, by automatically switching the phone off after 15 minutes of standby...

Sorry for the rant for my first mobileread post. I've had my kobo for a few weeks and have learned a huge amount from these forums, as well as developing a lot of respect for Kobo's responsiveness. Hopefully Michael and Sameer are reading this, as I'm sure feedback will make the Kobo the truly great device we all want it to be.

Last edited by tpw; 07-02-2010 at 05:15 AM.
tpw is offline   Reply With Quote