Thread: PRS-900 Fading in the sun
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #3
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
The screen on my PRS900 fades in the sun. After reading a bit about the issue on these forums and around, I decided to call SONY. They agreed to replace the unit.

But I am in Italy now - until September - so shipping is kind of problematic - or, at least, not free. So they agreed on replacing my unit in September, when I get back home to the States.

So now I get to treat my device with utter disrespect - no worries about sand, scratches, sun lotion on it - I am getting a new one in September.

Yet, no reading under direct sunlight either.

Anyhow... I just figured I'd share...
A lot of e-ink screens have this issue. At Kobo we weed these out by shining a really bright light (I believe it's 20,000 lumens..?) on the screen before it joins the board assembly.

Interesting story, in the early days we couldn't figure out for the longest time why the sun-fading was happening. We tried ultraviolet light and I personally even tried to heat the screen with a lighter to see if that was the problem lol. Finally found the issue.

Sometimes however, a screen or two will slip through the cracks (although we have not had a return yet for that reason that I know of).
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote