View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #23
elisabethwaters
elisabethwaters began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten E2
Why CHANGING FATE was pulled from Fictionwise

Hi! I'm really glad to hear that you like CHANGING FATE, especially because I'm currently working on a sequel.

The reason it's been temporarily pulled from Fictionwise is that I got a new cover for it by Vera Nazarian (graphic design is not one of my talents), and while I was making that change, I proofread it. (Again, I hope, because I don't think I put it up without proofreading it at all.) I was appalled to see how many errors I'd missed. So, as long I had to pull it for corrections anyway, I decided to give the Kindle version 90 days. Amazon makes life simple for authors: it's easy to publish things on Kindle, and it's also fairly easy to change them. It's also free. Fictionwise is going to charge me to redo the book, and they need a different format than the one I upload for the Kindle version, so it's going to take time to have it ready for them.

The 90 days is up on May 11, and I've made a note on my calendar to put the new Fictionwise version up then (or as soon after that as Fictionwise pulls what's been put up to be published). First they went from every week to every two weeks, and then "up by 10 am Monday morning" became "up sometime on Monday." I used to check Fictionwise first thing every Monday morning, but I found waiting for the new week's books to finally show up very frustrating--particularly when I was waiting for a book number so that I could update the mzbworks.com website.

Neither I nor the MZB Literary Works Trust intends to go with Kindle exclusively, but if we publish things there first, we can download the eBook version and reread it on a very small screen (I use my iPod), which helps us catch errors we missed the first time. We really want to produce quality products, so it makes sense to start with the platform where we can fix things without having to pay to have the corrected version republished.

Best wishes,
Elisabeth Waters
elisabethwaters is offline   Reply With Quote