View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 02:12 AM   #19
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've heard tablets will eventually replace all portable devices such as, ebooks, phones and computers and we'll all be surfing, reading, calling on our tablets on the cloud. I see at least 3 problems with that:

Size.
An all purpose cloud connected tablet would be too big if used as a reader for me. Yet still too small to be used as my main computer, while I find it cute to see people surfing on their I-pad sized tablets, I don't like such a small screen to display web pages (as my main computer I mean). I won't even get into the right size debate when used as a phone.

Luminosity.
To make it short, If I liked to read on a computer type of screen, I'd have the I-pad. I love e-ink because it is easy on the eyes to use for hours on end.

Portability.
Again a decent size for it to be called one's main computer would make it ipso facto not as portal as an e-reader or a phone. While we have some portability with our laptops, we don't carry them around everywhere as easily as we do our phones, do we.

For those reasons I don't think that e-books will come to a generational end any time soon. They will evolve yes but the fact that we need something that fits in our pocket will not change IMO.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote