View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #22
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i voted for :

- Mystery / Suspense (D.L. Sayers, Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett, Tonino Benacquista, Léo Malet, Fred Vargas, SS Van Dine, Dickson Carr / Carter Dickson / etc., Conan Doyle and Christie of course, actually far too many to list...),

- Classics (Jane Austen, Boris Vian, Camus, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Molière, Kafka, Ionesco, Gombrowicz, Sartre...), and

- Humour (PG Wodehouse, Raymond Queneau, Douglas Adams, Sempé / Goscinny (le Petit Nicolas !), James Thurber, Oscar Wilde, Jerome K. Jerome...). i couldn't choose fewer favorites than that.

I would have added Historical Fiction (well, more accurate would probably be Historical Mysteries, like Anne Perry, so i can get some edification with my entertainment), General fiction (is Nabokov Classic, or General Fiction ?? he is one of my favorite authors...), non-fiction (if only for Feynman : i love science and math, from afar mostly since i don't know enough about either to do anything practical, but i like reading articles... nano-technology is CRAZY !!), and possibly Science fiction as well, but you did say not to go too crazy.

i chose humour for writers like PG Wodehouse and Queneau who are among my favorites (although a lot of my favorite mystery writers can be very funny as well ; Dorothy L. Sayers, Maurice Leblanc, ES Gardner and Léo Malet come to mind). i don't think i would want a new genre just for them, i already have a hard enough time fitting things into categories (see my dilemma about historical mysteries above). dave barry (or whoever) can sit next to Wodehouse ; it doesn't mean i have to read him.

i see i am in good company here. Tompe and I could probably have a lot of fun sharing books, unless we both already have identical libraries, since our tastes seem to be pretty close. i love Jane Austen as well (so far it seems everyone does, which i find encouraging !), and although it was not proposed in the poll i love comics as well !! yay Tintin ! my favorite is le Capitaine Haddock... however i have never thought of reading them on my eb1150...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote