View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #104
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Not really at this time. I'd have to think about how it would work - but it would defeat the whole purpose of just using Calibre to manage things, unless I import the existing collections into Calibre in some custom column. Which could end up being a different plugin. Something to think about.
I haven't tried your plugin just yet (hoping to soon) however I would second the preserving request for a slightly different reason. If you read the Kindle forums one of the common things Kindle users do is create a collection that they put the current book(s) they are reading into so that it appears at the top of the list, like "~Reading~" in my case. Without this you have to keep switching your sort orders all the time to get back to your book which gets very annoying very fast.

So such users (e.g. me ) would want that collection untouched by the action of adding some new books from Calibre. It is not a collection they would want to "manage" within Calibre in any way shape or from, it represents a "state" of reading on the Kindle and should exist only there.

One of the ideas I had heard mentioned on other Kindle collection manager threads was allowing the ability to specify a list of collection names to be "preserved". So you read the json file, and throw away any not on the "preserved" list. Now I don't know how easy it is to read that json file and I havent looked at your code as yet but it "seems" a simple enough approach. There are of course still issues to be addressed (like what to do if a Calibre collection from your plugin matches one on the preserve list). But at least if I could name my preserve collections uniquely enough there shouldn't be an issue.

I also have other books on my Kindle that are not in Calibre for various reasons (non-fictional reference books) - they are hidden away in another collection on my Kindle that also I would like preserved and not have to recreate each time.