View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 06:07 PM   #16
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Anos View Post
It shows you how to go into the character map in windows (I have virtual machines for both Win 7 and XP. Both based on legitimate retail copies I own.). The map has a very useful help screen.
LibreOffice's Insert Special Character screen is also very good.

It's even better than the default Windows Character Map, because it lets you search.

Side Note: If working on EPUB, Calibre Editor's special character dialog is equally as fantastic.

If on Windows, you can also use BabelMap. It's pretty much a souped up Character Map, allows you to search fonts, find all Unicode characters, create your own buffers, etc. etc.

Quote:
I'm keeping a second .doc document with the characters I need (and commonly used words) and do a scrape and paste.
Yep, that's an okay way to do it too.

In books I work on, I only run across the rare accent, so I have a few of those Wikipedia pages open for exactly what I need. (Like their Greek alphabet + Greek diacritics pages are very well organized.)

I also use FileFormat.info's fantastic "Unicode Character Search".

Quote:
RTF - How do you remove the hard-coded vertical line spacing? I have had the same problem with optiscan and Finereader 9 as I have with my current "junk" setup.
Unsure what you mean. Can you post a sample document?

It should be as easy as adjusting the default paragraph's Style.

You do know all about Styles... right?

On how to apply Styles, check out the videos I posted in:

"MS Word vs Open Office Word"

On why Styles are so important, read Posts #46+ in:

"eBook Formatting in Sigil"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Actually, the only entities one should really need are &lt; &amp; &gt;, because their characters (< & >) would be XML code otherwise.
Ahhh yes yes, I always forget about those 3 since Sigil/Calibre automatically takes care of all of that.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 06-11-2021 at 06:15 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote