Thread: CSS / dropcaps
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #41
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
'nuff said really, but i site this link in defence of the "adds nothing to readability" argument
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2012...est-practices/
When reading text with a drop cap, we always “read” the letter, then the partial word, and then have to piece the two together...
The visual separation caused by using a drop cap interferes with word recognition for everyone. Drop caps are decorative elements. When we use them, we are setting a tone—often at the expense of readability.
No offense to whomever wrote that, but if someone's brain is so slow that they have to "piece together" a dropcap with the remaining text, maybe they need to use "See Spot Run" readers.

Worse, is that site KIDDING abotu "readability"? I find that whole webpage unreadable, due to the horrid distractions of the endless advertisements coupled with the greyed-out pseudo-Apple text (yes, THAT makes sense--let's ensure that no one can read the actual navigation bar, but don't let them miss the advertisements, god forbid!). I wouldn't stay on that site for 10 seconds, I find it SO annoying--and they're bitching about dropcaps?

I mean, honestly--will the dumbing-down of America never cease? The readers are so stupid that they can't read a DROPCAP with the remainder of the text?

And, lastly--she is expressly talking about using dropcaps ON THE WEB, not in books. To quote:

Quote:
Deciding to use drop caps on a website means making a conscious choice to use a primarily decorative element. Unlike initial caps in manuscripts and incunabula, a drop cap on the Web doesn’t add value in terms of usability or readability; its main purpose is to look good. And making a drop cap look good—whether in a manuscript, an incunabula, or on the Web—takes time (Figure 17). (Italic emphasis added)
So--this entire web article, on a barely-readable page, is about using dropcaps ON THE WEB, not in a book or a manuscript, in the first place--so it's not related to this dicussion in any event.

I'm sticking with my position--I want a book to be beautiful. I'm not going to be swayed by arguments about web design--utterly unrelated to manuscript design by her own words--on a website that is itself unreadable due to poor design.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote