View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 09:14 PM   #87
tiltowait
Zealot
tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.tiltowait considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie27 View Post
The reader software doesn't seem to be optimized for eink.

Turn the light on or off- screen briefly reverses then back to normal.

Press the home key- the home screen flickers the "new and recent" books, the "recommended for you" blinks a couple of times, then the screen calms down.

Press the "current read" icon on the home page- the entire home page reverses a couple of times, the screen turns white, the current page appears, the home screen draws over the page, then the current page finally emerges.

Tap in the middle of the page to bring up the reading tools menu- these elements appear quickly and without fuss. Tap again to dismiss the menu, and the screen blinks reversed, then displays the page.

Highlight a word to bring up a definition, it displays and a second tap dismisses the definition quickly. Okay, good. But tap the "read more" area- the top bar(s) flicker black/white a couple of times, then the dictionary text draws on the screen. Tap the back arrow at the top to return to page- the definition flickers black/white, white, and then the page is displayed.

There are probably more instances in other situations, but you have the idea.

All of the flickering, reversing, whiting, and blinking is time consuming, annoying, irksome, and aggravating. It disrupts the mental and emotional flow of reading and lessens one's enjoyment. This is the single most negative issue about the NG3, in my opinion.
Isn't this pretty common across all eReaders? I find that the nG3 refreshes less often than my Kobo, since it doesn't refresh between chapters. I don't mess around with menus or dictionaries much when reading, though.
tiltowait is offline   Reply With Quote