View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
For me, it's all about using ePUB and not getting locked into a specific device in the way Amazon does with Kindle, or Apple does with iBooks. Speaking only to how I read and what I want out of a reader, the question (for me) is if I am up for spending another $100 CAD for the six inch Sony. And my answer (to myself) is to wait for the update to the original Kobo reader, see what is up with the WiFi version, and then decide. Again, just for me, I can read almost all of the books I would choose to read electronically with no problems at all on my current Kobo with 1.4. The ones I can't are books I read for work. My employer isn't going to pay for digi versions and the ones I pay for myself I want in tree form so I can lend them to colleagues and students.

Everyone, ultimately, has to decide for themselves what features are a 'must have", a "nice to have', or an "I don't care'.
Yes, I really just wanted something to read on the bus/in bed/while I was waiting around and the Kobo does all those things. I have been trying out the conversion of some of my study material with a reasonable amount of success. I loathe devices that use "locked in" formats - won't buy an IPod or anything that behaves in that way. Over my working life I handled millions of dollars of other people's money without being tempted to steal any - so I don't see why a book or music publisher can't trust me to behave ethically!
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote