View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
Freidenker
Freidenker began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
PRS-505 totally freezed fixed!

Hi, I spent two days fighting with my reader and reading lots of threads trying to fix my reader which was completely freezed in the start up screen. I am in caracas so i couldnt even return it so i was pretty pissed off, specially because this is my second unit ( the first one died on me after a couple of weeks i got it and had to return it) since this forum was helpfull though i didnt find the specific solution i want to collaborate with my experience.

One morning i found the reader on the start up screen, i couldnt soft or hard reset it, and it didnt show on three different computers. looking here i decided to charge it overnight (actually im not that patient i tried resetting it like a hundred times then i quit and charge it overnight).

Next morning was the same but i noticed that if i pressed reset then turn it on it would try to function then it would die again. did this like ten times but nothing.

I had no books in the unit they were all in the mmc card (may be the problem) still the first thing i did was to remove the card.

Then i realized that if i resetted the unit then turn it on then plug it in the computer it would show in my pc.

So i formatted everything. the reader and the mmc card, i used fast format in fat 32. I thought that would destroy the software and lost the reader for ever but i was desperate.

When I unplugged.... IT WORKED!! awesome i heard angels singing.

I inmediately put back 100 books in rtf in the mmc card and internal memory (270mb)

So far it is still working, i still dont know what went wrong in the first place maybe because i didnt use the library to upload the books in the mmc card. maybe the mmc card is not fully suported (it had worked well for 5 months). Maybe a virus (my pc shows a trojan once in a while). Could have also been that i ran completely out of battery and that messed up the software (the bar was full though). Anyway now it is working and i hope this comment helps someone who has the same problem.

I didnt try the firmware update or the unbricking metod because the instruccions in the wiki page shows steps for a 500 and mine is a 505 by the way.

pd. I have like 120 rtf books in spanish (well formatted with autor and title) mostly history if any spanish speaking people want to exchange out there.
Freidenker is offline   Reply With Quote