View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #25
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
There are actually now 9 font steps (Original - S - M - L - XL - XXL - XXXL - 4XL - 5XL). I am sure that any pics of the Astak show larger fonts because they show up better in pictures. The epubs I read on my Hawaii trip were all Overdrive books from my library, with the initial/original font requiring a magnifying glass for these old eyes.

Typically, I hit the zoom (8) key once for comfortable reading in bright light (sunlight, good lamplight) and once more for dimmer light. It seems the Original can be different from one book to the other, which then apparently makes the S and M settings I use differ somewhat, as well.

For instance, the current book "original" is decidedly smaller than the menu font with about a 3/4" right margin, while "S" is larger, but still slightly smaller, than the menu font, about 32 lines per page (r margin about 1/8").

The previous book, the "S" setting was slightly larger than the menu font, about 27 lines per page (r margin 1/8"). The "about" qualification is because paragraph spacing appears to be 1/2 line and not all page samples had equal numbers of paragraphs.

Naturally, the words per line totally depends on the font size, and except for the "Original size" font, the margin is consistently about 1/8" all around.

I have over 500 epub books, which are about 500m each, so the 2g SD card is not even close to filled with a big whopping 275ish meg.

As far as a filing system. I haven't gotten into it more than using the provided "Digital Editions" folder for all ADE downloads (purchases and Overdrive), a "My ePubs" folder for non-ADE ePubs I have chosen to download, and an "Astak Free books" folder separated into 5 folders meaningful to me.

I have added some author folders in some folders, and manually add an initial sequence number to series titles.

I create any folders by plugging the SD card into my card reader and doing some drag and drop -- except for ADE's which need to be dragged and dropped inside Adobe Digital Editions itself. I suppose I should mention that I really create this folder system on my computer and transfer it to the SD card (or portions/additions)

I only got this toy for Christmas, but am more pleased with it the more I use it. Perhaps I could have made it all the way home without a recharge, but the night before we returned home, the indicator showed one bar, so played it safe and charged it up.

Got a few (is that a Kindle, is that like a Kindle, you have to download books, right?) questions around the pool, but for the most part, no one made any note. I meant to wander up and down the aisle in the plane just to see how many readers I found, but totally forgot cuz I was busy reading and reading and ...

Got thru three 400+ page books, and a 195 book from 1906 about the history of Astronomy -- Did you know Copernicus really only said that the Earth was in motion rather than in a fixed position?

I suspect most of my battery use was from constantly making bookmarks, then going into the bookmark page and deleting all but two. One thing I find missing in an ebook is the excitement of knowing how close the end of the book is by the thickness of the stack of pages on each side of my thumb, so I started making an initial bookmark for the last page, so I just needed to make a bookmark for my current locatioin and open the bookmark page to get digital equivalent of the "feel" of getting close to the end.

Last edited by eGeezer; 01-20-2010 at 05:56 PM.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote