View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 01:25 AM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
By that, I assume you mean Apple telling Amazon that they can't sell eBooks in their iOS app without paying Apple a 20% in-app-purchase cut?
Actually, (yes but) I meant what happened after that. After Amazon told them to bite their bums, and loosed the in-browser Cloud reader. Since then, hoooo, boy, they've been really at loggerheads.

Quote:
Yeah, Apple has gone out of its way to screw Amazon and vice versa. Frankly, as a user, it makes me want to tell both companies what they can do with themselves.

And this is coming from somebody who worked at the fruit company for almost 13 years (until a couple years ago). I'm fed up with Apple's childishness *and* Amazon's.
While I have had issues with both, I've found Apple far, far more childish. Nor do I care for their attitude, about almost anything. Yes, they were smart. Yes, they figured out that people cared more about being cool, than understanding the tech, or even having access into the tech. But I feel that they've contributed to the same mindset that cellphones have--"oh, I don't need to know how to do X, I have a PHONE!," (ditto knowing how anything works on a computer). And I can't warm up to any company that abandons OSes and hardware, etc. willy-nilly and screw the consumer that's spent money with them. {shrug}

(Reminds me of the idiocy, 6 years back, when they wouldn't publish a client's book, because OUR company name was on the copyright page. Why? Because the word "NOOK" was in it. No, you can't make that s**t up. Or refused to publish client Holly Lisle's book, about self-publishing, because she had a section about...Amazon. AFTER she blogged about their idiocy, to her tens of thousands of followers, suddenly, Apple announced that it was a "software glitch" that stopped her book. I guess the 3 people she spoke to before the blog posts didn't exist.)

At LEAST Amazon has to my experience been wildly responsive to its authors, and to its consumers. You can return stuff to Amazon with almost any lame excuse; and authors can ask for help with pretty much everything. Can't complain about that, if naught else. (And believe me, I've had my own individual issues with them, Prime, and the bloody *&^%$#@! Post Office subbing by FedEx, hoooo, yes, I have.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote