View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #40
entodoays
Zealot
entodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enoughentodoays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
I managed to do a full backup. First, on a Windows PC, I checked the Reader disk for bad sectors and it found some. It said it repaired it so I tried (back on Linux) to dd again. No luck, same results. I then formatted the Reader partition in linux to Fat32 (not a quick format), followed by "format internal memory" on the Reader. Tried dd command and it worked.
Then I backed up each individual partition individually as well.
I then checked each partition with
Code:
sudo fsck /dev/sdbX
where X is 1 through 10 (except 3, which is an extended partition). No errors reported but I got two warning messages for the Diag and fonts partitions:
Quote:
Warning: file extends past end of file system
. I did some googling and it seems this might be normal for cramfs file systems. Can anyone confirm?
I then ran
Code:
sudo badblocks -v /dev/sdb4 > bad-blocks4
for each partition and none were found.

Now that I can look at all the system contents, can someone indicate if there's anything to check for possible issues?

Also, I do not have a full backup of my unit before the problem started. I know that backups shouldn't be shared but I was thinking if it was possible to get backups of all partitions except the ones containing the unique information (serial number, etc).

P.S. I removed all the ebooks from my system except two to eliminate the possibility of a corrupt epub.

Last edited by entodoays; 01-05-2013 at 08:31 AM.
entodoays is offline   Reply With Quote