View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
vermontcathy
Connoisseur
vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'vermontcathy knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 11, PW5, Oasis
Question Question marks instead of most special characters - HTML->mobi

I've used Calibre for a few years to create mobi and ePub files, so I'm not new at this. But with my latest conversion, from HTML to mobi, I'm getting question marks instead of many common characters such as curly quotes, hyphens, etc. I"m seeing this on both the Kindle Keyboard and Kindle Touch.

My process is Word -> save as HTML filtered -> tweak in Dreamweaver -> drag HTML file into Calibre-> convert to Mobi.

I did this process with the exact same book a week ago and it worked fine. I proofread it on my kindle, made a few corrections in the Word doc, saved as filtered HTML, tweaks in dreamweaver, import into Calibre, convert to mobi, transfer to device.

Just this morning I had seen there was an update, 0.9, and installed it. Fearing that something was wrong with the update, I uninstalled and rolled back to 0.8.69. Same results. The HTML looks fine to me - same as always.

Any ideas?
vermontcathy is offline   Reply With Quote