View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 09:49 AM   #14
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
- Are the Kobo readers, especially due to the funky soft back more prone to twisting and cracking?
It has a soft rubbery coating on the hard plastic shell.. It's not actually a cloth quilt

Quote:
- Due to the drop in the price of ereaders are more non-tech people buying Kobo's and not realising the durability of new technology?
This could very well be the case; many people are used to the durability of things like ipods and other media players, or they might figure it could be as durable as a regular book *shrug* all I know is that I won't let my daughter bring hers to school because I've seen her other school books

Quote:
- Are the Kobo's poorly manufactured?
Always possible to have a bad batch as a number of the posts I have been seeing, at least those who have posted screenshots, have been from a wiring defect.

Quote:
- Because they are not sold with a protective cover, or lack of advertising the availability of such an accessory (correct me if I am wrong but there isn't an official Kobo cover is there?)
There is the roots cover that was sold at launch, but all it really does is protect the screen from scratches, not the device from bending. They have recently started to sell book style covers that help reinforce the device. However, said book covers have been available for a while for the kindle 3 and with a little research by consumer can come up with some pretty good deals compared to what Kobo offers.

Quote:
I'm not being negative to the Kobo, just other ereader brands people usually say "oh I dropped it and broke the screen" etc, very rarely do they break without someone knowing why. As I said, I'm interested (love a Kobo wifi at some point still though).

This issue definitely isn't isolated to the kobo; I just did a quick scan of other forums, including the kindles, and came accross plenty of broken screens, a number of them saying " sundenly found a crack in the screen" or something of the like (although the sony seems to be rather durable, probably due to a metal frame). Most poeople don't want to admit they broke it; I mean, accidents happen, but it's embarrasing, not to mention expensive. If it's within warranty, most people will try to pass it off as a defect however looking at some of the screenshots, it's just so obvious. It's just unfortunate they attack the company's reputation rather than admit to the error, however, some companies will bend to the will of a client if it can mean less negative PR.

Last edited by Psyke; 01-16-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote