View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Is access from the external card noticeably slower than from the internal? Just curious. I'm considering doing the modification (btw I'm a newbie and I totally got the notion of not formatting the card, from the original post)... anyway... considering doing the mod when the warranty runs out. Don't want to risk it before that.
Once I have accessed the book from the SD card the first time, I don't notice any slowness. The first time, the Kobo generates the 3 images on the fly which takes a bit longer. The newest firmware seems to be storing those images on the SD card so next time I factory reset, I hope not to notice that slowness on the first opening or displaying on the carousel.

One note is that the card I'm using in my uSD card slot was picked as the best of the cards I owned in the small read/write test using Crystal DiskMark. See an earlier post in this thread with two images of just how different SD card results can be. What my experience indicates is that the class of the SD card is a useless item as very often the higher speed cards have pathetic small block performance. A Lexar Class 10 card from a digital camera gave me the results in the image below. I worked great in the camera where 6-8MB files were being written. In a Touch, it was pathetic.

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lexar8GB_C10_internal.png
Views:	775
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	104571  

Last edited by DNSB; 04-18-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: typos... what else is old?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote