View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
durtreg
durtreg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Read the above posts explaining when Calibre updates the metadata inside the files themselves. This is expected behaviour. Actually, you're not even supposed to care about the files inside the Calibre library, instead interface with it using either the GUI or the CLI tools.

If you changed the title, this is expected behaviour as well: Calibre computes the path according to the template you specified in the send to device- options. If the path is dependent on the title and you change the title, the old file will not get overwritten, instead a new one will additionally be written. That file, as you have seen, will have the updated metadata.

Because of the Calibre design philosophy. The library is seen as a database without user access.
I understand.

However, the first time the books were sent to the device (on linux-calibre), the properties were not on the device (I will look into this when I get home to my linux machine). They should have been handled the same way as here at my work computer - the right way. I will check if this is the result of some difference in settings between the two calibre installations or indeed a bug in the Linux implementation of the pdf writer.

I am now convinced that the behaviour I see is a result of the above mentioned Sony-XML-Metadata getting out of sync with calibre. It would explain other things like disappearing books on the device.
durtreg is offline   Reply With Quote