View Single Post
Old 09-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
EricGagne
Connoisseur
EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.EricGagne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I never thought choosing an eReader could get so complicated. Printed books are much simpler, you can read them anywhere you want regardless of where you bought them.

It looks like the mobi format is slowly dying. Since I don't have a big investment yet in ebooks it would probably be a big mistake for me to stick to this format although some books I wanted to buy aren't available in other formats. I wouldn't want to end up a year from now with a 400$+ obsolete device that I can only forget about and have to replace.

Cybook wouldn't be my first choice, the only reason I even considered it is because of this used one at 225$ but I'm not sure anymore that it would be a good move.

What I understand from all this is that if choose a reader that doesn't support DRM Mobi files then I either need one that does non-drm prc and I can remove the protection from my files or have a device that doesn't support them at all in which case I need to remove the protection and convert them. From what I gather converting files can be a tedious and frustrating operation and I'm not sure I want to get into this.

I think this narrows my choice down to 2 devices, Astak or Sony. At 300$ the Astak would cost me 325$CAD + Shipping + Duty. For that same price I can get a PRS-505 today at Future Shop or wait until Sept. 16 and get one of the new models.

At worse I can always use my PDA to read my protected mobi files if I don't succeed in converting them.
EricGagne is offline   Reply With Quote