View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 02:12 AM   #11
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
As to the DRM problem this could cause difficulty for the user of ePUB. Somehow it needs to be very clear which DRM a particular eBook is using. I suspect a new extension is needed for DRM content with a different extension for each version.
I think BooksOnBoard has the right idea. They already sell their files as 'Adobe ePUB', so it should not be a big deal to also list 'eReader ePUB' as an option. Caveat emptor, as usual.

As to the extensions, I already rename many of the files I download since extensions are not as useful in identifying file contents as they used to be. With .avi videos that might need any of several different codecs, books in .prc and .pdb files that could be iSilo, Mobipocket or any of several other formats... heck, even zip files can often be more useful with a .cbz extension. Actually, ePUB itself is a container format and any specific file could have contents that would not load on any reader that supports ePUB today, and still be completely up to spec. I do hope Fictionwise applies some common sense to the matter, but if I have to rename the files title.erdr.epub, I won't be too surprised.

The Bandit

Last edited by GntlmnBndt; 12-04-2008 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Clarify the container formats comment
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote