View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 04:28 PM   #62
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
When you combine all of that with the production of one e-book reader, which is capable of replacing potentially hundreds to even thousands of books, the economy of scale and conservation of resources tips very strongly in favor of e-books.
Also true - but while it is possible to keep and productively use an ebook reader for many, many years (provided it doesn't break down), _generally_ speaking these gadgets rarely last for more than a few years, while a good book generally lasts a for long time. I doubt many of the current-day ebook readers will see more than 5 years of use.

And I have no idea whether these book readers use uncommon or rare materials - trees are self-replenishing (when done right). And of course these ebook readers also have to be transported (raw materials mined and shipped, half-products fabricated and shipped, final product assembled and shipped, store shipping). It is interesting to ponder these relative costs - but I find it hard to see a clear winner - so many factors.

Last edited by acidzebra; 08-14-2008 at 04:35 PM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote