View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Trouhel
Enthusiast
Trouhel began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello Doitsu,

I will certainly be disappointing but I'm not into posting the script yet first of all because I yesterday found out the splitting feature mentioned in my point 1 is broken (this explains while splitting occurs in the middle of a chapter in the attached samples, and cross-linking between XHTML files as well) and I have no time to fix it quickly as I have guests coming home for a prolonged week-end in a few hours, next because it weight 200kB, even stripped of comments, carriage returns and unnecessary white spaces, and I don't feel like turning MobileRead members into beta testers, and last because at least a good half its documentation is requested reading to start using it.

I'm more into design as far as now and wondering if, considered there are other fairly good tools to produce ePUB, it's worth the trouble investing time into moving to an end-user quality product.

Anyhow, I've attached ePUB and PDF samples from the documentation + an XHTML and the CSS file produced at step, for easier reading. My way of testing is opening the file with ADE 1.8 (1.7 won't understand some @font-face rules whose family name is not the one in the font file) and check the ePUB with FlightCrew. I have no idea of what the result is going to be on a reader as I don't own one.

I hope this will anyhow give you a taste of what the script can do .(samples have no images for size considerations, but JPEG, PNG at least work, SVG is in the process of debugging).

Hi, Toxaris

I don't know what a Word "filtered HTML" file is. I don't have Word and very seldom runs Windows at all. The main constraint I have as to input files is CSS: i must look like the embedded CSS in OO files, which is pretty restrictive (@page, tag and tag.class rules only). It might be feasible, if "filtered HTML" is close to that, and if there are no idiosyncrasies in its use of attributes within HTML tags.

The whole idea, anyhow, is to have a fully free and open-source solution to produce both ePUB and PDF. What about loading .doc files into OO first ? Never tried, so I can't tell what's lost in the process.

Hope, I partly at least answered both of you.

Regards,

Trouhel
Attached Files
File Type: zip samples.zip (382.8 KB, 362 views)
Trouhel is offline   Reply With Quote