Old 04-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
kontrabas
kontrabas began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad, Asus EEENote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
Read this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90831

A technique described in the last post using prepared registry.xml can gain you shell access offline.
Did you mean the post quoted belove? I don't see how anything but part 2 in that post refers to my problem. Described is the case of one user who already has the develover's package (shell access privilege) installed and wishes to preserve it. In my case, however, I don't have the developer's package to start with.
After that I read some follow up threads and deduced that even if you never had the original developer's package you still could 1.) produce a bootable CF and 2.) change values on it, so that it allows "sh"-files to be run and 3.) boot the Illiad from the CF. I am not sure however if I have pictured this process correctly. The way I understand it:

A.) The original developers package did one thing: change an entry in the "registry.xml" allowing files with the extension "sh" to be run in the content manager. Is that correct? I am still in the dark however about the nature of the change. That is: was something deleted in the registry.xml or rather something added?

B.) I need to format my CF-Card correctly (file system: ext2 size:128MB). Then copy the complete contents (that is all directories and files) in the internal storage on the card (preserving the directory structure). Would a select all, copy and paste in Windows Explorer do the trick? I suppose not, sounds to easy. In the next step I would access the "registry.xml" on the CF-Card and make the appropriate changes (which are?), changes that would normally be effected by downloading the developer's package to your Iliad. The last step is to boot the Iliad from the CF-Card. How do I force the Iliad to boot from the CF-Card and not from the internal storage?

Were my steps (A & B) so far correct? I fear that the method of copying the contents of Iliad's internal storage to a CF-Card is probably not as easy as I make it out (just selecting all directories on the Illiad in the windows explorer and copy-pasting them to the CF-Card will not do, will it?), but would still care to know if I at least got the general picture.

Thanks for all the explanations. You really put a lot of work in those older threads; sadly enough I don't know how good I did to follow the explanations, whence the questions (but that's really my fault).
As to my computer system - if that is of any relevance - I carnrun Ubuntu 10.10 - »Maverick Meerkat« on my laptop and Windows 7 on the desktop pc of my parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
I see that people are concerned about how to survive their iLiad even after iDS goes down, so I am going to share some of my thinkings here.

1. Backup your iLiad.
If iDS goes down, we can't update FW anymore. So, making a backup of your iLiad is quite important.
The most important files resides in /usr , /mnt/registry, /home. Command "tar czf" can be used to create a compressed backup of files.
Developer's package (shell access previlege) and mobipocket reader are also affected if iDS goes down. They are explained in the following.

2. Install developer's package and backup registry.xml so that shell access right can be re-installed when doing a re-flash.
The so-called developer's package makes it possible to install non-official software. In fact, when we retrieve a developer's package from iDS, it just adds an entry to "registry.xml" to enable shell script can be executed through ContentLister. At boot-up, ContentLister reads "registry.xml " to find the appropriate application to launch when certain document is tapped by users, eg, ipdf for ".pdf", mobi_reader for ".prc" or ."mobi". Only after developer's package got installed, files with ".sh" extension can be executed through ContentLister.
According to some other thread, when doing re-flash, putting "registry.xml" in CF will copy it your iLiad. So, having a backup of "registry.xml" after developer's package installed is a must-have.

3. Backup Mobipocket Reader.
IIRC, the reflash content from iRex does not include Mobipocket Reader. We have to get it through iDS. If iDS goes down, out iLiad will lose mobipcoket reader after re-flashing.
Mobipocket Reader and Tao's JVM resides in "/home".

I wrote the above text by my memory. I can't be sure if they are all correct.
kontrabas is offline   Reply With Quote