View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #8
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
.... If you want to see the metadata, add the PDF file again to calibre.
Tried that with a couple saved out PDF to PDF converted PDFs. Still didn't see any extra metadata (like from custom columns) after adding them back into calibre. The only place in calibre I know of to look for embedded metadata is in Viewer, click the metadata icon, which showed PDF metadata as before the save-out and re-add. Unless I missed something obvious....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Indeed, the only reason XMP support was added at this time was that there is now at least one academic publisher (Elsevier) that does produce PDF files with good XMP metadata, thus it made sense to read XMP metadata. And if you read it, then you have to write it as well, otherwise you get bug reports like I changed the metadata but it doesn't show up in the PDF.
Thanks for the explanations. I was just curious. I don't have many PDFs or use them much. But lots of other people do. So I anticipated there'd be questions.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote