View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #415
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.kruse View Post
Suggestion: A .mobi file with a comic book converted by Calibre to epub displayed images in original size, which was using just half of the Aura display. This relates to the zooming problem, again I would have liked a fixed zoom area / margin cropping). Using a 1 Ghz processor, I imagine the Kobo could really also just heuristically crop away white areas to all sides of a page (Auto-zoom).
This can be fixed with some editing of the epub. There have been several discussions in this forum around images. If you convert the book to a .kepub.epub and the image is alone on the page, you can zoom it. See the Calibre Kobo extended driver to automate the process.

Quote:
Suggestion: Sorting in any list of books / items in the Kobo menu should be sortable in either direction. E.g. when sorting by size, I want to be able to have smalles or largest first. Currently I can only have largest.
It would be great to have some more flexible sort options.

Quote:
Suggestion: I always want the library tile on the homescreen, right now it is kind of random when it is there or not. (it is there after adding books, I believe)
There is the library link at the bottom of the home screen. As for the tile, fter adding books, it will remain until it is pushed off the screen by other tiles. Generally, I've been long pressing and dismissing it.

Quote:
Suggestion: When I am offline, then search should not default to results from the bookstore, there ain't never going to be results.
Unfortunately, true. Personally, I would prefer an option to search library first and the bookstore if you are connected.

Quote:
Suggestion: Searching "Delaney" in my collection gave me two results:
Delaney, Joseph (1 book)
Joseph Delaney (4 books)
That could be smarter (though partly the metadata is at fault).
Sorry but to me that is entirely a metadata issue. The author name/author sort/book title are set in the metadata. Use either Calibre or Sigil to fix.

Quote:
Suggestion: I am unable to get what this screenshot shows:
http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/imag.../15/362250.jpg
Article:
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/45...iew-images.htm
But looks like a nice feature.
That requires a .kepub book. Some people like it, some don't. It will give you a title bar at the top of the screen along with chapter pages in the bottom bar. You can use the extended touch driver to automate sending your ebooks to the Kobo with that extension and some editing. Still some issues with the process but works quite well.

Quote:
Suggestion: (Accidentally) opening a book on cover page and returning from it should not set stats to 0% read. It should remain unread / finished.
You want the ereader to read your mind?

Quote:
Suggestion: Default sorting for books should be improved. Showing finished books early because they were "recently read" is useless, the user will have little interest in reading them again usually, will they. Default sorting should show unfinished recently read first, then unread books, then finished books.
Personally, I seldom browse through the library. Using the search feature is just a lot faster and easier.

Quote:
Suggestion: Filtering book lists by type would help a lot, a large comic book set in my collection just annoy me in the list when I only care about novels at a given time, and vice versa.
How does the ereader get informed that book A is a comic book, book B is a novel, book C is a tech reference?

Quote:
Suggestion: Showing page numbers in the margins additionally to those at the bottom should not be a default.
See the settings menu. Under Reading settings, turn off the "Show page numbers in the margins:"

Quote:
Suggestion: Header row (book title) and bottom row (Page x of y) when displaying epubs should be optional. The title row should be displayed once, when opening a book, because the tiling of the home screen sometimes is no help in knowing the title (nondescript covers). That probably has been said before, this is just my +1.
It would be nice to make these optional. Check some of the threads in this forum where adding the title bar to .epub books (it's been shown for .kepub books for many firmware revisions) seemed to have become tantamount to the end of civilization as we know it.

Quote:
Suggestion: It should be easily possible to get the title of a book on any tile in the homescreen without opening the book. Some files have bad covers.
Again, bad metadata. Use Calibre or Sigil to fix the covers.

Quote:
Suggestion: Sleeping / poweroff screen should be configurable, I might not want everybody to know which book I am reading, similarly, locking the device should be an option. No need for anything ultra-secure, people will just forget passwords, but simply something so that I can leave the kobo unattended at a desk without a passerby being able to pick it up and browse thought my collection quickly.
Given the number of issues that Kobo has had in past with covers, I would prefer they avoid that suggestion. As for the passcode, I don't leave any of my devices unattended. Since I keep my ebook collection on a uSD card, it's all too easy for someone to just pop the card out and walk away with it. One of my coworkers had her photo collection from her cellphone disappear that way. Not the most pleasant experience for her or her significant other.

I hope these comments are of some help to you. It would seem that you have not purchased many books from the Kobo store given a couple of your comments such as the statistics display.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 05-29-2013 at 12:37 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote