View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Covers are not a factor (for ebooks) when I get a book based on recommendations from people I trust. (For print books they could be a factor even then - if a cover is truly so ugly that it actually offends my aesthetic sensibilities, I refuse to have it in my shelf.)

Covers are a factor when I'm just browsing around, seeing what catches my eye - both because a cover can tell you something about the genre (very very helpful for telling urban fantasy and paranormal fantasy apart at a glance, for example!) and because an interesting, professionally done, aesthetically pleasing cover is more likely to get me to click on the book page and read the blurb than an ugly or amateurish one.

And covers are the main reason why I am completely unable to even browse Baen's offerings. I just cannot get past the awfulness of their design. I'm sure there are people who find those covers appealing, but I can't deal with them, not even enough to read the descriptions and not even knowing I could probably find and download a nicer cover for my Calibre library.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote