View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #280
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgK View Post
Obviously I couldn't make myself understood

I want to sideload a new firmware to my KObo Touch and want to make sure I use the right file.
There are two of them: a file for "new" hardware and one for "old" hardware.
Unfortunately I cannot say if I've got an old or a new Kobo. How can I check which version of KObo Touch I purchased?

Regards
Georg
GeorgK,

DNSB suggested you could force the device to download the correct firmware (without installing it), and then compare the downloaded file with those files you can download directly via the links in the first post.
In order to force the device to download the FW, you could factory reset the device. There are certainly also possibilities to trick the device into updating, maybe changing an entry in the database or a config file. I did not look into that.

I tried to come up with another method.
1) First ascertain the rev number (settings>device information). In my case it is 84fbb7111a, this means FW 2.4.0, first release.
2) Download the two update files of that release, one for the old and one for the new hardware, to your pc
3) Decompress these files and try to establish a difference. There are several differences. I settled on the differences in the folder "KoboRoot\drivers\ntx508\usb\gadget". This folder contains three files. Each of them differs in size when compared to the other version.
4) So we only have to find which of those files are on our device. We can do this by executing a bash script.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
ls -lc /drivers/ntx508/usb/gadget > /mnt/onboard/log_listgadget.log
5) We open the log_listgadget.log and compare the file size information with those we saw in the downloaded update files.

Edit: There are several ways to run a bash script on the device. One of them is to use the KoboLauncher for standalone Qt apps (link).

Last edited by tshering; 03-13-2013 at 11:40 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote