View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #22
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I pirated Under the Dome, justifying it because Stephen King had announced he was windowing the ebook to give independent bookstores a chance. We all know how that turned out - Amazon and Walmart got into a price war, and I was finally able to get the ebook for just over $7. I never read the pirated verion (and I still haven't read my legitimate ebook version!)

Recently, I found that 11/22/63 wasn't available in ebook form at the library. I thought long and hard about getting it on the darknet, using the rationalization that the publisher was being greedy and acting like a Luddite. But the ebook was available for purchase. So, ultimately, I was only thinking of getting the book illegally because I didn't want to pay $16.99 for it. I decided that was just plain theft, and borrowed the hardback from the library. I read it over the weekend, so carting the huge book around in my briefcase was not an issue.

I feel very strongly that ebooks should be available at libraries, because there are people who cannot afford to buy books. I might be able to excuse someone like that for pirating an ebook, but if they can afford a computer and an ebook reader, they should not be pirating.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote