View Single Post
Old 10-10-2016, 12:35 AM   #36
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur
Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiradur View Post
Yes, I experimented with terminal apps and a keyboard. I bought an USB OTG adapter but I couldn't get a keyboard to work with it. I then borrowed a BT keyboard and it worked fine for my testing.
It now seems as though USB host support was indeed removed from the later firmware. I've linked to Booxtor's post explaining this from the thread discussing USB keyboard (host) support on the M96.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiradur View Post
What I love the most about terminal apps is that they are very responsive and I usually blaze through the terminal. While working with terminal apps on the M96 seemed ok at first the slow response time of the screen put me off after a while to the point that after a few hours I had to switch to my computer. I tried it again on two other days but never felt comfortable and as productive working this way. I also missed syntax highlighting a lot.

Additionally I didn't feel it reduced eye strain, quite the contrary due to long response times of the screen. Maybe it just needs more time to get used to but I decided to put it down.
Thanks. Yes - at least with this generation of technology there is alway's going to be the slow refresh rate of the screen itself and whether one can tolerate that and all the other disadvantages of eink for whatever benefits one gets. So it is never going to be lightening fast, though using something like a VNC from another device is likely to be much worse. I'll have to see myself, when I get back to trying to work out a workflow. I have spent literally days marking essays on a screen (it is all being pushed online simply because it is cheaper, for the powers that be, not me, obviously enough) which was a truly terrible experience.

The slow refresh rate is one reason why I have more interest in the next generation of processors than simply larger screen sizes as I tried to explain in this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wong McGregor View Post

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...dustry-in-2015

Freescale told me during the product announcement that one of the prolific changes will be page refresh rates. The rate in which page turn speeds occur heavily depend upon the waveform that the e-Reader uses. The update times can range between 125 mSec – 500 mSec. By integrating the REGAL waveform support in hardware, Freescale are taking away any additional time that would be added due to Algorithm processing on the Cortex-A core, hence a savings of up to 150 mSec.

Solving the page turn program is a big step forward, but that’s not the only thing that is being remedied with this new processor. Ghosting will also be solved with this framework, which is a huge deal. Normally with e-readers you will have a full page refresh every six pages or in some cases every chapter. The reason for this, is the longer the display goes without a full page refresh text gradually starts super imposing itself. I have never liked full page refreshes, as it breaks reading immersion. Now, this will also be fixed, which means less full page refreshes because again, its now hardware based, instead of software.

Likely the largest innovation in the IMX product line is the support for hardware dithering. This will allow e-reader companies that work with the Linux or Android platforms to be able to include animated content. This will include truly animated page turns, interactive menus and video. Freescale showed me somethings I can’t write about, but needless to say I saw fully streaming video on an e-reader and it looked awesome.
Wong McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote