View Single Post
Old 11-17-2019, 01:16 PM   #14
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
Unfortunately Apple TV+ doesn't have anything of interest to me. Maybe in the distant future when/if they ever get a huge library, but not now.

Disney+ is probably great for people with younger kids, and it is priced low and has a huge library of old and new movies and shows including Star Wars stuff. But I’ve never cared for Star Wars except for Seth MacFarland's Family Guy parodies of episodes 4-6. A talking baby playing Darth Vader; what is not to like about that? But most of the Disney+ stuff isn’t of interest to an old fart like me accept maybe for nostalgia as I grew up watching The Wonderful World of Disney on TV and seeing many of the cheap B movies old Walt churned out. But again, those 1950-1970s movies and shows were designed for kids, and they were churned out cheap and quick, so they rarely appeal to adults these days. The newer movies from Pixar and later are much better though. I still like the original Mary Poppins movie though, but that one was better produced than most, and it is the first movie I remember going to see in a cinema theater back in the early 1960s, so more nostalgic than anything.

I got held up at metaphorical gunpoint by Hulu a few days ago as they announced they are increasing the cost of their Live TV service from $45 to $55/mo, a whopping 22% increase. Their service is watchable, a lot of good channels, but the cloud DVR blows chunks and they have a lot of streaming issues on occasion. I’ll probably cancel the Live TV service from them and stick with their on demand service only. I don’t think the Hulu with Live TV is worth the $67/mo it will soon cost.

I mostly watch OTA TV, which I can get and record with an antenna and my Fire TV Recast, and documentaries on history, science, several DIY home improvement shows, and a few shows like Live PD. I hardly ever watch sports any more. So I’m going to try out Philo TV which is only $20/mo because it doesn't include sports or your local channels from ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and PBS. It gets nearly all the channels I watch except for NatGeo and Smithsonian. But I can likely get the few shows I watch from those channels via on demand. Disney is bundling Disney+ with Hulu on demand and ESPN+ together for just $13/mo, so if I switch to Philo TV for live TV I’ll get the Disney bundle for on demand stuff and the occasional sport event I might watch. That will cost less than half of what Hulu with Live TV is going to cost.

I think the TV streaming services will do okay for on demand, but they are quickly becoming too expensive for live TV. Since you also have to pay a king's ransom for high speed internet service to stream, these services are now approaching cable pricing. Cable tends to be more reliable still, but streaming still has ability to cancel when you want without penalty. Unfortunately that contract-less service means they can jackup the price multiple times per year, as Hulu has done and as DirecTV Now did. Sony is shuttering their Playstation Vue service in early 2020, so one of the major streaming players has gone belly up. DirecTV Now was bleeding out customers and money, so AT&T renamed it and raised the prices through the roof. Hulu raising its pricing by 22% indicates they are likely struggling too. I’m afraid live TV streaming won’t be able to survive much longer. On demand will likely survive, but I suspect more channels will offer their own on demand and stop offering it through services like Hulu and Netflix.

Last edited by OtinG; 11-17-2019 at 01:21 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote