View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 01:58 PM   #218
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlantedChanter View Post
Thanks for the advice downeaster59 and Purple Lady. I'm still torn.

The t63 is only about $125 on Taobao and comes with the screen protector and flip cover I would like. It seems to already improve in the areas I didn't like about the t62: dimmer screen for night reading, slightly lower weight, and improved resolution for occasional manga reading + bragging rights.

Getting in early at a discount on the sleeker and smoother Venus is enticing but is mainly for kicks rather than solving any deficiency in the t63. From the product page Q&A area it looks like rooting is mandatory for side-loading apps. Perhaps this was the same for the t63?

Anyway, I'll report to the forum if I do opt for the Venus over the t63 and wait with interest for reports from any other earl adopters.
Elsewhere in this forum, you can find the T6x Toolkit, which will automate both rooting the T62 or T63 (I've done it with both) and installing Google Play Store. I happen to like my T63 specifically because of the lower light level and the 300 dpi display. The Kindle app is way too slow, but that's no problem for me. I run my ebooks through Calibre and then transfer them to my T63 through Calibre Companion. Then I can read them on whatever reading app I want. The stock app is okay, but I usually use Moon Reader Pro.

In my experience, battery life for my T63 seems a little less than it was with my 'old' T62+. But this is the only real criticism I can throw at the T63. Even here, the difference in battery life isn't huge.

In short, I think you'll be most satisfied with the T63. Others may have their reasons for saying otherwise, but we all have our own reading priorities! The T63 serves mine well.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote