View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 04:33 AM   #5
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I don't think the characters need to be like the narrator thinks of them. The narrator has an interpretation, but it is just an interpretation.
True, but you do have preconceptions about people you know, especially if you have a slightly unusual worldview (which would be the only point of using first person). It's when they stray away from the narrator's expectations that this would come into play.

So in frahse's example above, with the wife reading a book it would make sense for the narration (from the man's perspective) say "Dang ho's pretending to read a book so she don't got to make my dinner." The reader couldl make their own mind up, but if it's told by the man it would be the way he sees things/people.

But I wouldn't be asking if I didn't think there was a problem with it myself...
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote