View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
Last question...
Has anyone tried an 8 GB Tablet yet? I'm wondering how much of an effect reducing the operating RAM to half the size of the 16 GB Tablet (1 GB vs. 512 MB) has on the operation. Storage space is no big deal since it has an SD slot. I currently have a Kindle 3 and would rather get the Kindle Fire. But the fact that it has no card slot kills it for me.
I can't answer your first questions and the 8GB Tablet hasn't been around long enough to say how it compares to the 16GB version speed wise, however, with system memory cut in half, I don't see how it could be anything but slower in certain applications. I'm certain there will be some that you'll never see a difference. It really just depends on what you plan to do with your NT.

As far as picking a NT over a Kindle Fire, I'd have to say, good move. I have always been an Amazon man, heck I still love and use the company. I love my K3, but when it comes to these tablets, my 16GB NT blows the Kindle Fire away in my book. That being said, you need to keep a few things in mind. Both Amazon and B&N only let you play in a closed sandbox when it comes to their tablets. They're not making much, if anything, on these devices. They're banking on making their money on you buying content from them. The B&N app store is horribly deficient when it comes to apps. They offer only a tiny percentage of what is available on the full-blown Android Marketplace, which you won't have access to without rooting your device. Also, many of the apps that they do offer, they charge for or charge more for, where they're available for free or for less through the Android Marketplace.

Amazon has a much better app store but they're limited too. The only way to get full access to any app you may want is to root your device.

I rooted my NT within a couple of days and haven't been happier. However, I wouldn't have been anywhere near satisfied if I hadn't or couldn't have rooted my NT. Also, I'm not certain there's been a lot of success with rooting the 8GB NTs yet, though I'm certain someone will be able to eventually.

Anyway, these are all things to keep in mind when considering your purchase.

Good luck with your decision.

- Byron Followell
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote