Thread: Image Alt tag
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeXMix View Post
Personally I wish this was not necessary for iBooks publishing. I mean, if you make a fashion type eBook with lots of images. Visually impaired readers who need alt tags are not even consumers of this type of eBook.

It's just a pointless time consuming addition to the production flow for some type of eBooks.
It's not an iBooks requirement, it's an XHTML requirement, and ePub requires (sort of) valid XHTML.

As I said above, and as you repeat in your post, alt="" is perfectly valid and recommended in decorative images. But sometimes images are not just decorative, they may be a sample of hand-written text, a strange symbol, or even an illustration that's closely linked to the text ("and this is what he found when he opened the door: [here comes an illustration]"). For those cases you need to provide something meaningful in the alt attribute. For the rest, just use alt="". Apple is not requiring anything new, but they may be providing bad examples.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote