View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #14
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I'm not Roman, but I'm interested in this and have some of the same concerns he posted. I've been using the script from the other thread for well over a month now so I'm used to its behavior too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
1. You need to change the sort order on the Kindle to Title - see the Tips section above. (snip)I'll consider putting a timestamp to sort them initially -but as soon as you access a collection it will jump to the top of the list and mess up your order - which is why sort by Title is nicer.
I see your point, but having the access time reset option does make it easier to make sure all your expected collections are there. It also, for me, ends up working like this - I have my most accessed collections at the top and the rest alphabetically while in collections-only view. This works because I update my collections at least once a week and I don't go rummaging through my collections much unless I'm reading something - that's one of the many things Calibre is for, so I don't have to rummage through my collections on the Kindle.

Quote:
2. Yes, if you are creating collections by authors then it creates a collection even if there is one other. This makes sense to me - otherwise you won't see your author in your list when you expect to. I'll see if there is demand for this as I don't want to keep adding options unnecessarily.
You can add a +1 to the demand for this. Honestly, the plugin isn't much use to me unless I can tweak the minimum number for a collection to be created. One reason is because I don't want to have a series collection unless I have at least three books for that series, and I don't want collections for my "low volume" authors. I can get around this by adding an author tag or creating a custom column to handle it, but I'd rather just stick with the script that's already configured that way.

Quote:
I'm thinking about providing a gui to edit the collection/ignore names to minimize confusion. We'll see how it goes.
That would be awesome. If you could put the most common options into a Plugin Configuration GUI, this plugin could be arguably the most versatile, user-friendly collection management option available.

Please don't take my comments as meaning "the script is better" because I'd much rather use the plugin if more of the same functionality was able to be implemented, such as that already mentioned as well as an option to run it in update instead of rebuild mode. I really don't want to have to stick my random non-modified Amazon files back in collections any more often than I have to. Those are the things that would make it useful to me. I think it's great that you've done this much - this is a plugin that many have been waiting on.

I just did a bunch of updates to my library and rebuilt my collections yesterday, so I really don't want to test the plugin right now. I'm collectioned-out at the moment. But I will give it a run this weekend. Does it produce a job log?

One more thing - in your first post (I think) you stated that you could replace the collection prefix character ("~", etc) with any text. This has not been my experience. For example, "> " will show up as gibberish on the Kindle, or at least it did when I've tried it in the past. I have no idea what other characters produce similar results. If I get ambitious this weekend maybe I'll test a bunch of characters and see what else works or doesn't.