View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #51
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
It has been interesting for me to follow this thread about Amazon backing away from support of older devices. I have several Kindle Keyboards. I have loved them for their open 3G browsers, which have allowed me to check email and the weather when I am at my cottage up north without internet, t.v. or telephone. I’ve been very grateful that Amazon has kept this feature working, even though it is labeled an “experimental” feature.
I also have a DX with 3G, in which the open browser no longer connects to anything but the Amazon store. I imagine the Kindle 3 will soon follow, but there are many more users who would voice their displeasure over this than there are DX users. It is too bad to sell something then reduce its function, like taking back your car’s muffler after 10 years. However, the browser was sold as “experimental”. Not being able to register a DX to use the Kindle store seems a bit absurd, maybe a matter of incompetence. There must still be some value in allowing users to go online to buy books from a Kindle. I have no idea what Amazon pays to allow Kindle owners 3G access, but I can’t imagine there would be any incentive to taking it away from a small number of users.
I think it is incompetence. They probably don’t pay enough to support personnel to have many knowledgeable about older devices.

Last edited by montalex; 05-05-2019 at 01:03 PM.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote