View Single Post
Old 05-01-2019, 04:33 PM   #47
Flipflargin
Angrah Kitteh
Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
DeKuns, you are so so right. My painful experience comes to an end.
I called Amazon today for status on my Kindle DXG ticket (not registering from device).

Here's what I could piece together from the ticket's developer comments (with support person reading them back to me):
Your device is not wifi.
If it gets connected with wifi we can pull manual logs.
It is not "ticketable" (can not file a ticket on it anymore since not wifi).

The ticket is marked, "resolved".

The telling thing is that I had manually dumped the logs and had them attached to the ticket when it was first created. The developer had them available to analyze from the start. The ticket was pending for over 3-4 weeks before they came to the conclusion that the device wasn't wifi so they couldn't pull the logs?
They absolutely must had seen the "cert file not found" exceptions in the attached logs.
Maybe there's official pressure to put this old free 3G Kindle DXG out to pasture so they can retire their 3G contract obligations/cost?
Maybe somebody deleted the developer FAQ detailing how to create a new security cert for this device?

Okay no biggie, I'll just continue to side load my library.
I came to this party for the DXG big screen loveliness.
Would it be nice to buy books right from the old Kindle DXG? Sure.
Would it be fun to use the experimental browser? Yeah.

But it might be more honest of Amazon to represent this real-world situation in the Kindle DXG software support section?

Here's my humble (yet snarky) suggestion:
Once factory reset, the Kindle DX Graphite can only be registered on the server-side by calling Amazon support. The device itself will not show as registered. This means that you will only be able to browse the Amazon bookstore. You will not be able to buy anything using your device. The experimental browser will not be available.

cheers!
Flipflargin is offline   Reply With Quote