View Single Post
Old 04-22-2016, 06:10 AM   #15
LeoS
LeoS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Tab S2 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
No, a 'don't reinvent the wheel' thing. Don't attempt to create a novel wired waterproof audio connector (with the risk that it might contain some unforeseen design flaw), when a perfectly satisfactory wireless solution already exists (and has been exhaustively tested).

Anybody who wants to shell out for a Kepler Pro can probably afford to buy a pair of Bluetooth headphones. Anybody who doesn't want to, can buy the (almost certain to be cheaper) C67ML Carta 2 instead and get an audio jack.
I'm not sure what's new about waterproof audio jacks, since there are loads of waterproof audio players, radios, and the abovementioned smartphones all have both waterproof speakers/mics AND waterproof jacks.

It's certainly additional cost to their design, where there's already a lot of single chip wifi-bluetooth solutions out there and all they need to do is activate audio bt profile in their product for a fraction of the cost.

From the consumer point of view, i don't think bt is a cost issue. It's more of a convenience and power issue, at least for me personally:

1. Bt eats up the ereader's battery (more than wired headset)
2. Bt headphone/speaker is either wired to a power outlet, or has limited battery lifetime
LeoS is offline   Reply With Quote