Thread: Aura HD Kobo Aura HD
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 10:29 PM   #59
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I've seen ebooks where they use the same vignette for each chapter heading and a separate image has been included for every chapter. The same for ebooks that use a triple bullet to separate segments and used a separate image file for each instance.

Just plain sloppy work in my not so humble opinion.

Regards,
David
That drives me nuts too and I see that often in purchased books. I'll go through and delete all the identical images and use just one for all chapters and drastically cut the size of the book once compressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
While I agree there are lots of covers out there that are a larger file size than needed. With current cover specs required by many retailers (1400 pixels minimum width and likely to increase over time) 100kb or less isn't realistic for many of the images out there.
But the image within the epub itself doesn't need to be the full 1440x1050 pixels. It can be 800x600 and the code in the book tells it to display the cover at 100% of your reader's screen and it looks just as good as if it was 1440x1050 pixels. For the few minutes you actually see the cover, it's silly to include huge images thinking it will "look" better on an e-ink display. Even on a color display, the same coding can be applied and no one would see the difference if done correctly. You can use the cover as your screen saver while the reader is asleep and it will still look perfect.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote